Thursday, August 4, 2011

Starting a terminal in GNOME3

After GNOME3 came out, one of the common criticisms I heard/read about was that a click on the the terminal icon doesn't start a new terminal - it brings the current one to the foreground.

I wouldn't have noticed, I can't remember the last time I clicked on that icon. GNOME has for years supported setting a keyboard short-cut to fire up a terminal. GNOME3 still supports that short-cut. Go to System Settings → Keyboard → Shortcuts, click on "Launch Terminal". Assign a shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+T). And that's it. Now you can fill your screen faster with new terminals than you could ever click it.

On that note, I recommend using "Terminator" as your terminal emulator, assign shortcuts to "maximize window" and "maximize window horizontally" and with a few shortcuts you essentially have tiling window manager for terminals, inside GNOME.

10 comments:

Jeremy said...

What is so terribly foreign about middle-clicking on the icon? Other operating systems have done that for years, and GNOME doesn't deviate from that.

Unknown said...

@Jeremy What is so terribly foreign about clicking it like before? What's the point of breaking stuff?

Only OS X does that. Everybody else has the sane behavior.

Unknown said...

Funnily enough, I need to find a new shortcut because I always used the "Windows" button for this...

Andreas Nilsson said...

There is also ctrl+click to open a new terminal of course.

Andreas Nilsson said...

There is also ctrl+click of course.

Jeremy said...

@Felipe If I had observed only OS X doing it, I would have specified. I know Windows 7, AWN, and Docky behave that way.

So that's 5, unless my memory has crapped out. Which (as a disclaimer) is entirely possible.

Anonymous said...

Just to note that Ctrl-Alt-F10 works fine as "Maximize window horizontally" with gnome-terminal. No need to use terminator, seems to me.

Peter Hutterer said...

@matej:
Terminator provides the equivalent of vim split/vsplit for terminals, not anything related to maximising windows. See the screenshots on http://freshmeat.net/projects/gnometerminator

Anonymous said...

I just go into "activity" mode by pressing the super key. Then I just type "ter" and press enter. Seems faster then even using the mouse.

Derek P. Moore said...

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/721/gnome-shell-open-terminal/